Become a Course-based Tutor
Course-based tutors enhance students’ understanding in traditionally challenging courses, and encourage students to be independent learners. Students interested in becoming a course-based tutor must meet the following minimum requirements to be considered for this paid position (typically to involve 10 hours per week):
- Have earned an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher (on all college level coursework completed), with an academic record free of any Academic Honor Policy violation
- Have earned a B+ or higher in the subject area course(s) for which you feel comfortable tutoring
- Complete the Online Peer Tutor Application
- If you are specifically interested in applying to work in the Math Studio (drop in mathematics tutoring at ACE), applicants are required to be qualified to tutor all levels of math up through the Calculus sequence.
- Request an instructor to complete and submit the Instructor Recommendation portion of our ACE Online Peer Tutor Application (‘instructor’ is faculty or graduate instructor with primary teaching responsibilities in the course you have completed). A link to the Instructor Recommendation form can be found in step 3 (above), or here.
- Instructors should complete the form, scan it and e-mail it directly to:
Elyse Budkie - Math Courses
Dr. Shane Hockin - Other Courses
If you have any questions, please email Elyse Budkie - regarding becoming a math tutor, or Dr. Shane Hockin - regarding becoming a tutor for other courses.
Become a Study Skills Tutor
Study Skills tutors guide students in developing time management, organization, and learning skills necessary for academic success. Students interested in becoming a study skills tutor must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Have earned an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher (on all college level coursework completed), with an academic record free of any Academic Honor Policy violation
- Ideal applicants have completed SLS-1122 or SLS-3140 or have experienced and overcome a difficult academic term using positive academic strategies.
- Submit completed application form, updated resume, and a list of relevant professional experiences: Link to form
- Request an academic or professional source to complete and submit the recommendation portion of our application: Link to form
If you have any questions, please email Dr. Samantha Tackett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Peer tutoring can be a very rewarding activity, and we look forward to working with you during your time here at the Florida State University.