The Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) offers workshops on topics that are critical to academic success. The program is designed to provide students with an interactive opportunity to learn about and develop the academic skills and personal attributes needed to be successful at the college level. See the schedule below for specific topics. All workshops are free! Students should plan to arrive early and get started on time.
ACE instructors are also available to present workshops to student groups and organizations on campus outside of normal working hours. Workshops must be requested at least two weeks in advance, and scheduling is contingent upon staff availability. To request a presentation, please fill out our survey and an ACE representative will contact you to complete your request.
- This workshop helps students connect their academic accounts (FSU email/Outlook, Canvas, etc.) to their phones so that assignment deadlines, advising appointments, and messages are at their fingertips. We will also discuss how to set up push notifications/reminders and task lists in a way that will help students effectively manage their time. Last, this workshop will briefly discuss apps that may help students better navigate their university experience.
- This workshop helps students organize their time so they can get things done with less stress. They will leave this workshop with tools that help them set goals, avoid procrastination, and commit to a time management routine.
- Need a letter from a faculty member for Grad school, or that scholarship? Wonder how to go about it? Come to this informative workshop and learn all you need to know about how to get the BEST letter of recommendation!
- Learn tips and tricks for developing a timely test preparation routine and reducing test-related anxiety.
- This workshop outlines the benefits of note making as well as various methods to make the note making process a little easier and more efficient, including how to be prepared to take notes and actively participate in class. Strategies for textbook note taking will also be covered.
- This introduction to the GRE offers a brief overview of the exam and tips on how to study, as well as information about other more in-depth test preparation opportunities. Need additional help preparing for the GRE? Stop by ACE to study with FREE Practice Tests and Preparation Books!
- This introduction to the GMAT offers a brief overview of the exam and tips on how to study, as well as information about other more in-depth test preparation opportunities. Need additional help preparing for the GMAT? Stop by ACE to study with FREE Practice Tests and Preparation Books!
- This introduction to the LSAT offers a brief overview of the exam and tips on how to study, as well as information about other more in-depth test preparation opportunities. Need additional help preparing for the LSAT? Stop by ACE to study with FREE Practice Tests and Preparation Books!
- Writer's block getting you down? Do you have a new assignment and don't know where to start? No idea what to write about? Come to our workshop for advice on picking a topic, getting organized, finding resources, and starting your paper off right!
- Do you need to submit a personal statement for a graduate school application or a scholarship? Are you trying to decide what you should write about or even where to start? Come to this informative workshop and learn all you need to know about writing an exceptional personal statement!
- When do I use a citation? Do I use MLA, APA, or Chicago Manual? What are MLA, APA, and Chicago Manual!? Get the basics of using citations in your papers not only to avoid academic dishonesty and a bad grade, but to improve your writing.
- You got your assignment back with the professor's comments all over it--now what? This workshop teaches you to turn negative feedback into a positive learning experience. Improve your writing and your study habits through constructive critique.
- Students will learn about academic and non-academic resources available online from FSU that can help students succeed in and out of the classroom.
- Students will learn and practice goal setting techniques and concepts that have been developed from researchers in the fields of sport and performance psychology.
Other workshops available on campus
Career Center. The Career Center offers workshops to help you match majors with jobs, find internships, build your resume, research and communicate with potential employers, prepare for job interviews, negotiate a salary, and many strategies for finding employment after college.
RENEW workshops. At the Student Counseling Center, current FSU students offer one-on-one sessions on Time Management, Stress Management, and Study Skills.
Professional Development Series for Graduate students. The Graduate School holds workshops in preparing electronic theses and dissertations, applying for grants and other funding, interviewing for an academic position, and publishing.
Other resources to help you prepare for the GRE include: https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/?WT.ac=gre_prepare_170731. Also, after creating an account at this link (https://tcpr.petersons.com/), select Improve Your Score to access free GRE resources.
Transfer Student Services offers a series of workshops in technology, study skills, balancing workload, and self-care to support transfer students in becoming more accustomed to the FSU experience. Looking to meet other transfer students? Transfer Roundtable meets monthly to network and discuss topics relevant to the transfer experience and Study Sundays give transfer students an opportunity to meet study partners or get one-on-one assistance with developing a study plan. Click here for a schedule of events.